Last week, the FTC announced it would seek public comment on whether to make changes to its Funeral Rule as part of the agency’s systematic review of all current rules and guides. The announcement, which can be read here, noted the FTC will seek comments on a wide range of issues, such as:
- Whether consumers have benefited from the Rule
- Whether the Rule imposes any significant costs on funeral providers
- Whether changes in technology or the economy require changes to the Rule
- Whether new unfair or deceptive industry practices exist that could be addressed by changes to the Rule
- Whether providers should be required to post their itemized price lists online
- Whether itemized price lists should have a standard format to help consumers compare prices between providers and help providers comply with the Rule.
The FTC indicated the full request for public comment will be published in the Federal Register “soon.”
NFDA is actively monitoring the Funeral Rule review and awaiting the publication of the full request for public comment. We will be actively engaged in the process on your behalf and keep you informed as the review moves forward.
More information about the latest news from the FTC and the Funeral Rule review process can be in the January 23 issue of the Memorial Business Journal.