Pursuit of Excellence Registration and Application Materials
The COVID-19 Pandemic and Pursuit of Excellence - Submitting Your Entry For 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted many things, including some NFDA programs, events and services. As you might expect, The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted many things, including some NFDA programs, events and services. As you might expect, the Pursuit of Excellence Awards are being impacted as well.
Be assured that Pursuit of Excellence will continue in 2020!
We are only making one modification that we hope will not impede anyone’s participation: this year, all Pursuit of Excellence entries must be submitted electronically. We will not accept entries by mail (e.g., scrapbooks, binders, etc.).
Should the pandemic prevent the Pursuit of Excellence Work Group from meeting in-person this year, electronic entries will enable them to review and discuss all entries remotely. We appreciate your flexibility this year. See details below for how to submit your entry electronically.
There is no change to the July 15, 2020, deadline.
There will be no change to the number of criteria a funeral home is required to complete for its entry. We know some of you may have canceled programs and events due to the pandemic but we also recognize you are also stepping up to serve your communities in other ways.
Categories 2-6 each have, as the final criterion, the option to describe a program or service that fits the definition of the category but does not fit in one of the existing criteria. If you are struggling to complete four criteria in each category, we encourage you to use the last "catch all" criterion in each category to describe how your funeral home is stepping up to serve families and communities during the pandemic.
For example, in the Community Outreach category, you might describe your efforts to make masks for local healthcare workers or collect toilet paper for families in need. For the Family Services category, you might describe how you transitioned to using Skype for arrangement conferences or began offering webcasting/livestreaming to families.
You may describe multiple programs/initiatives in the “catch all” criterion in order to fulfill four criteria in each category. For example, in Category 4, you may have found that many community volunteer opportunities you normally participate in were cancelled due to the pandemic. However, you donated cleaning supplies to help a local homeless shelter stay safe during the pandemic and quickly organized a baby food drive for the local food bank to support families in need. Both of these items could be described for criterion 4-K and would count as two of the four required criteria in category 4.
As the members of the Pursuit of Excellence Work Group review entries, they will be flexible and mindful of the circumstances all funeral homes are facing.
If you registered in advance for the 2020 Pursuit of Excellence Program and are unable to send in an entry, the registration fee is, generally, nonrefundable. We are happy to roll your fee over to the 2021 program year. We may be able to issue refunds for special circumstances. Please contact NFDA at 800-228-6332 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation.
Submitting Your Entry Electronically
Submitting Your Entry for Pursuit of Excellence is as easy as 1, 2, 3…
Step 1: Submit Your Registration Form
All participants must submit a registration form and payment, by the entry deadline of July 15, 2020. You have two options:
- Download a registration form and submit it, along with your payment, to NFDA:
- Fax: 262-789-6977
- Mail: NFDA; Attn: Pursuit of Excellence; 13625 Bishop's Dr.; Brookfield, WI 53005, USA
- Pay your registration fee by phone; call 800-228-6332 (+1-262-789-1880).
Step 2: Prepare Your Entry
- Download the 2020 Pursuit of Excellence Electronic Entry Form and save it to your computer. Be sure you are using the form that says “Form Updated April 2020” on the first page.
- Please name your files with documentation using the corresponding criterion letter and number. For example, the PDF documenting your CFSP designation should be named 2G. If you are submitting multiple pieces of documentation, such as for your essay, you can name the files 1F-1, 1F-2, 1F3, etc.
- As you prepare your entry form and documentation, please note the following acceptable file formats:
- Word Documents (.doc or .docx)
- Excel (.xls or .xlsx)
- PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx)
- Image Files (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, or .gif)
- Audio Files (.mp3, or .wav)
- Video Files (.mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .wmv, or .mp4)
Step 3: Submit Your Entry
- Entry forms must be finalized and submitted to NFDA by 11:59 p.m. CT on July 15, 2020. Late entries will not be accepted, no exceptions.
- Ensure all of your materials, including your entry form and all required documentation, are ready to be submitted.
- Click the following link to open NFDA’s FileCloud service: https://filecloud.nfda.org/url/q3cyue2e2sjnkryc.
- Please create a folder for your funeral home's entry materials. To create a folder, click the “wrench” icon on the right side of the screen. Then, select the “New Folder” option from the menu.
- Name your folder using your funeral home name and city/state. Each funeral home location for which you are submitting should have its own folder. If you are submitting for multiple locations with similar names, please be as specific as possible when creating your folder name; e.g., Hardin & Son Funeral Home – South, Auburn, AL and Hardin & Son Funeral Home – North, Auburn, AL.
- After entering your funeral home name and city/state, click “Create.”
- Find your folder in the list and click on it to open it.
- Click the blue “Upload” button in the upper right corner. (You can find this button above the “wrench” icon you clicked to create your funeral home’s folder.)
- Select your online entry form and documentation. While files can be uploaded one at a time, to save time, hold the Control (Ctrl) button to select multiple files at one time. Click “Open” to begin uploading your files.
- Once you see all of your files in your folder, your upload has been complete and your entry has been successfully submitted to NFDA.
If you have any questions, please contact NFDA at 800-228-6332 or email@example.com.